11.27.2010

Dear Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

I cannot recall the exact amount of times I’ve driven to work desperately wanting to drive pass that familiar right turn and keep going. Driving until I hit the water; a nice shoreline with a dock filled with boats named after various saints or endeared women.

It was only a few weeks ago that I finally did this exact insistence. Finally making the existential choice to go, to search & discover what was, in order to fulfill nothing more than my own personal curiosity and desire to live. This, my friend, was worth more than any minimum wage pay check could offer. My only regret is that I had turned back and returned to my daily, dead-end toil.

While you may say to me that it was a good thing I did turn back, I believe that you, and anyone in the like, are wrong. Understand that the only reason I returned was out of fear. Not just any kind of fear, but the kind of fear that comes when you cannot help but feel as though you’re lacking something, when you feel you’re not good enough. When you feel that that which you came to know is the only thing you should acknowledge. This fear exists, not only within myself, but everyone. People will deny that, but they are only lying to themselves.

I believe the point is to not hide from this, but to accept it and harness the fear for our benefit (to fear stagnation instead of our own dreams) and I am making every attempt to do so. I can only hope you do the same, for it is only ourselves that can break this conditioned stasis and see the endless opportunities.

Best wishes,
David S. Hooker